YOU ALREADY KNOW THAT NEGLECTING TO FLOSS can lead to all kinds of oral health problems. Tooth decay and periodontal diseases begin to knock on your door when you don’t floss on a daily basis.
However, FLOSSING WITH THE RIGHT TECHNIQUE IS JUST AS IMPORTANT as flossing frequently. We listed the 5 most important techniques so you can become a floss boss!
1. Use around 40cm (15 inches) of floss each time. Wind most of the floss on one finger and the remaining floss on the same finger but on the opposite hand.
2. Don’t floss aggressively. Slide the floss between teeth, but when you reach the gum, use a gentle up-and-down motion. You don’t want to cut open your gums and damage the tissue.
3. Use a new section of your floss for each tooth. This prevents bacterial from spreading between teeth.
4. When the floss reaches the gum area, glide it into the space between the gum and the tooth. Remember, you must do this very gently!
5. Rinse after you floss! Flossing dislodges plaque from your teeth, and rinsing will help you to remove the residues from your mouth.
Now you’re an expert about flossing! If you follow proper techniques, floss regularly, but still experience pain, bleeding gums, or bad breath, it is probably time to give our clinic a visit.
Also, keep in mind that brushing and flossing daily does not replace tooth cleaning. It is vital to visit the dentist every 6 month for a cleaning service! Professional cleaning prevents cavities, inflammation of gums, bone loss and bad breath. It is also a opportunity for our dentists to tell you if you are brushing and flossing correctly. Doctors are able to examine your teeth and gums for potential problems. Regular visits allow us to take action immediately, preventing problems from getting worse and too serious.
If you are in the Vancouver area, we welcome you for a free consultation! We are conveniently located in Downtown Burnaby, only a short walk from Metrotown Mall. Our dedicated team of dentists and hygienists have a wealth of experience, and will surely solve whatever dental problems that are troubling you.